Tuesday, March 19, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW of Barbara Boswell Author of Dog-Ma: The Zen of Slobber

 



********************************************

So you may remember a while back I did a review of this book and I LOVED IT!!!! I cried and laughed and everything else when I read it so of course when Sharon over at Beck Valley Books asked me if I would like to do an author interview for this tour I fell all over myself with excitement!!! So after a lot of thinking and after asking my boss's daughter, a huge animal lover, who I bought an extra copy of the book for (I was NOT giving up mine! LOL) I came up with some great questions!

Here ya go!!! ENJOY and Thank you so much Barbara for affording us the opportunity to get to know you a little better!


Author Interview
with author of Dog-Ma, the zen of slobber, Barbara Boswell Brunner 

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
After a long career in the retail industry founding and operating a chain of crazily expensive women’s clothing and skincare stores I have traded my Louboutins heels for Havaianas Flip Flops. My feet thank me daily!

Tell us your latest news?
There are lots of fun things going on with the book right now. Here’s my favorite. It has been posted on the ACX Audiobook site and I am now accepting auditions for narrators. It will be so much fun to have readers be able to hear it as well as read it. You can find the link here if you know someone who would like to audition. https://www.acx.com/titleview/A30EBDGCTOZJ9I

When and why did you begin writing?
I have always loved writing and even wrote a short Christmas book when I was ten years old. It is such a great way to express imagination. All of those characters running around in my head can come to life and I won’t get locked up in the loony bin.

What inspired you to write your first book?
Dog-Ma was inspired by my love of dogs and the need to get all of the crazy stories we had been telling at cocktail parties for decades down on paper before senility sets in and I forget them.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
Rescue and adopt. Be kind to animals. It will come back to you ten-fold. There is no greater love than that of a rescued dog.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
The book is a memoir. It is based on my life – my crazy dog filled slobbery life.

What book are you reading now?
Right now I am reading a friend’s manuscript. It is a wonderful novel that I am sworn to secrecy about. All I can say is that when it is published...it is going to top the charts! It is stellar!  I know it will hit the New York Times bestseller list. 

What are your current projects? Can you share a little of your current work with us?
The follow-up book to Dog-Ma is currently on my to-do list. I have been struggling with several outlines but until just a week ago was not able to develop a solid story line. Then my author friend (the one with the Top Secret Novel) gave me an idea that clicked. The working title is Re-Tail, Confessions of a Shop Dog. The story will be told from the perspective of Gus, my Brittany who accompanied me to work for 12 years. He was wise beyond his years and has some great advice to share.  

“One of my favorites is rule number 12) Do not hump the mannequins. This may seem obvious to some but being an amorous French dude I’ve had numerous issues with this one... oui, oui.”

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
We live on the Gulf Of Mexico and enjoy swimming, boating and generally being active and out on the water.

JUST A FEW FOR FUN
Coffee or tea?
Both. Coffee when I need a pick me up. La Colombe Corsican roast is my favorite. For tea, which I drink the majority of the time, I prefer green tea, though my husband thinks it smells like swamp water.

So you like to cook?  Do you have a favorite food?
I do not like to cook. No way, no how! My husband is an amazing chef - thank goodness, or I would probably starve.

Favorite food... ah, there are so many... Hubby makes the best roast chicken I have ever eaten so I guess I would have to choose it. He marinates it for days in a yummy combo of herbs. It melts in your mouth!

I do bake and am told that I make a fairly mouth-watering molten chocolate cake. Yum!

Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream?
Chocolate, most definitely!

What do you normally eat for breakfast, of do you skip it and get straight to work?
Skip breakfast? Are you kidding? It is the best meal of the day! Poached eggs and toast with berry jam is a favorite.

What are 4 things you never leave home without (apart from keys, money and phone)?
Lipstick, Lipstick, Lipstick and Lipstick.

Sleep in or get up early?
Early – except when I sleep in.

Laptop or desktop for writing?
Tablet. I am an iPad gal. I love its portability. I can easily slip it into my bag and take it anywhere so I never miss jotting down a fresh idea.

Your favorite gadget?  
A stainless steel Arrow Stapler I just inherited from my dad. I remember it being on his desk when I was a little girl when I used to “help” him do paperwork. I think he bought it in the 1940’s and yes it still works perfectly. I love its simplicity and timeless design. He passed away suddenly on New Years Eve. I will always treasure it.

About Barbara Boswell Brunner  barbaraboswellbrunnerBarbara grew up in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania with her parents, sister and always a dog, or two or three. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from a small women's college in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. Meeting her husband in Washington, DC, they continued together on a journey as self-proclaimed dog addicts. In the ensuing years, she founded three successful businesses in the Pacific Northwest and is a prolific fundraiser for breast cancer research. She and her husband are retired and now reside in Southwest Florida with two dogs and copious amounts of dog fur. She is currently working on indulging her well known flip flop addiction.  
 

About the Book 
dogma
For dog lovers everywhere.......Barbara's vivid and dramatic stories, told with a wicked sense of humor, will make you laugh out loud. She definitely gets what living with rescued dogs (nine of them!) is all about. This book will inspire you with the couple's unstinting love, devotion, and respect for dogs as family members. You'll be glad to include it in your treasured collection of great dog books.

When Barbara meets her future husband, Ray, it is love-and dog-at first sight. Over the course of thirty-two years, seventeen relocations and nine dogs, their mutual love of dogs guides them on their unconventional path. The love that Barbara and Ray get in return is literally lifesaving, with one dog attacking a lethal intruder and another discovering Barbara’s cancer. Her own survival story underscores the story of how her dogs become survivors themselves. 


Each new dog adds its own dynamic to the family, sometimes upending it. From Turbo (whose Spock-like ears may have provided super powers), Barbara learns about the will to live; Lexington demonstrates incredible patience and an inexplicable love of golf; Madison teaches that laughter is truly the best medicine and that the whole “nine lives thing” is not reserved just for cats; Morgan should be sainted for tolerating Izzy, who is as cute as she is bad. Barbara is certain that somewhere in doggie heaven there is a poster that says “If you are sick, injured or in need of really expensive medical care, FIND THESE HUMANS!” 

Buy the book from ....
Author's Website

 


Barnes and Noble
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Photobucket


 

2 comments:

  1. Got to agree chocolate ice cream so outweighs vanilla :-) Loving the sound of the new book about Gus. Great interview !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview! It was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Share :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...