So today is going to be all about one of my favorite shows. THE BIG BANG THEORY!!! After a friend posted on her Facebook that she didn't understand why people thought it was a funny show I was in shock. I could not understand how anyone could not like TBBT!
Then came the replies. Some were similar to me saying it was hilarious and citing certain episodes and moments that made them laugh and then there were others that just could not, like my friend, understand what all the fuss is about. Those people are ones I don't understand lol.
My fiancé and I have the first 4 seasons on DVD and yet we still have around 103 episodes saved on our DVR box in our living room. During the summer when most of our shows are on hiatus we play TBBT Roulette! One of us pulls up TBBT on the screen and hits either page down or the down button while our eyes are closed. When we are done with our "selection" we push play and watch whatever episode happens to be on the screen :) I know it's dorky and I know that it's strange but we like to just watch them together and laugh!
So about the Big Bang Theory. Here is the Wikipedia page summary of the show:
The Big Bang Theory is an American sitcom created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady, both of whom serve as executive producers on the show, along with Steven Molaro. All three also serve as head writers. It premiered on CBS on September 24, 2007.
The show is centered on five characters: roommates Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper, two physicists employed at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech); Penny, a waitress and aspiring actress who lives across the hall; and Leonard and Sheldon's equally geeky and socially awkward friends and co-workers, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The geekiness and intellect of the four guys is contrasted for comic effect with Penny's social skills and common sense. Over time, supporting characters have been promoted to starring roles: Leslie Winkle, a physicist colleague at Caltech and, at different times, a lover of both Leonard and Howard; Bernadette Rostenkowski, Howard's fiancée (later his wife), a microbiologist and former part-time waitress alongside Penny; Stuart Bloom, the cash-strapped owner of the comic book store the characters often visit, and neuroscientist Amy Farrah Fowler, who joins the group after surreptitiously being matched to Sheldon on a dating website.
So there ya go :) The characters are my favorite part of the show!
I just copied what I found about the main characters on Wikipedia.org so check it out if you want :)
- Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter, Ph.D. – An experimental physicist with an IQ of 173. He received his Ph.D. when he was 24 years old. He is originally from New Jersey. The straight man of the series, he shares an apartment with colleague and friend Sheldon Cooper. The writers immediately implied potential romance between him and neighbor Penny, and their sexual tension is frequently explored including occasional dating. In Season 3, Leonard begins an on-again, off-again romantic relationship with Penny, although the two continue to live separately.
- Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper, B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D. – Originally from East Texas, he was a child prodigy with an eidetic memory who began college at the age of 11 (after completing the fifth grade), started graduate studies at 14, and earned a Ph.D. at 16. A theoretical physicist focusing on quantum mechanics and string theory, he has a master's degree, two Ph.D.s, an Sc.D., and an IQ of 187. He exhibits a strict adherence to routine; a lack of understanding of irony and sarcasm; he is also uninterested in many of the romantic hijinks of his friends. Sheldon shares an apartment with Leonard Hofstadter, across the hall from Penny, and relies on both for advice in social situations. Sheldon is very egotistical, and he often brags about his smarts, although he lacks social skills. Sheldon relies on his friends to drive him around, and he eventually tries to go for his driver's license but is unable to complete the task. In the fourth season, he begins a relationship with Amy Farrah Fowler, who becomes his first girlfriend during the fifth season, even though he is wary of germs and physical contact. He is a very introverted character. He is also famous for knocking on a door before saying the name of whom he's addressing, repeating this three times.
- Kaley Cuoco as Penny – From a small town outside of Omaha, Nebraska, a blonde who lives across the hall from Sheldon and Leonard. She is pursuing a career in acting, and has been on casting calls and auditions but has not been very successful thus far. To pay the bills, she is a waitress and occasional bartender at The Cheesecake Factory. To date, her last name has not been revealed. She dated Leonard at the end of the first season, and during the third, fifth, and sixth seasons. By season four, Bernadette, Amy and Penny have formed their own group, who like to hang out in Penny's apartment or go out together.
- Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz, M.Eng. – He works as an aerospace engineer. He is Jewish, and lives with his mother. Unlike Sheldon, Leonard, and Raj, Howard lacks a Ph.D. He defends this by pointing out that he has a master's degree in engineering from MIT and that the apparatus he designs are launched into space, unlike the purely abstract work of his friends. He fancies himself a ladies' man and devises outrageous pick-up lines, with suitably unimpressed reactions from Penny and limited success with other women. He claims to be a polyglot. He dates and later marries Bernadette Rostenkowski. In the fifth season, he trained as an astronaut, and blasted off into space in the season finale to serve as a payload specialist on the International Space Station.
- Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali, Ph.D. – Originally from New Delhi, India, he works as a particle astrophysicist at Caltech. His family is very wealthy. He communicates with his parents, Dr. and Mrs. V.M. Koothrappali, via webcam. He is very shy around women and is physically unable to talk to them unless he drinks alcohol, or at least thinks he has been drinking alcohol, or has taken experimental medications provided by the pharmacology department at the university. However, he has often had better luck with women than his overly-confident best friend Howard. He has very feminine tastes and often takes on a stereotypical female role in his close friendship with Howard, but he insists that he is not gay. During the fourth season, his sister Priya (Aarti Mann) stays with him and becomes Leonard's girlfriend.
So there are the main characters as listed on wikipedia.org :)
Here are my Top 5 BBT Moments/Episodes. I am not going to tell you about the entire episode just a part that really sticks out to me :)
- The Bath Gift Hypothosis - When Sheldon hugs Penny!
- The Lumonious Fish - When Sheldon buys and uses a Loom!
- The Bad Fish Paradigm - The famous "Shhhh, I'm batman" episode
- The Euclid Alternative - Sheldon learns to drive. My favorite moment is "Airbag"
- The Adhesive Duck Deficiency - Sheldon has to help Penny when she slips and falls in the shower. My favorite moment "Then let it go"
Now I know I didn't give you a whole lot of information on those episodes but that's because YOU have to watch them yourself!!!
Let me know in the comments what you think of the show and what you thought of those 5 moments/episodes!!